A wonderfully light fish meal with a Thai flavour - perfect for a summer lunch..
4 x 120g fillets silver perch, skin off, bones removed
2 teaspoons sesame oil
175g snow pea tendrils, snipped
2 green onion, sliced diagonally
1 tablespoon finely sliced singer
finely chopped coriander
Black Bean Sauce
25ml Shaoxing wine (you find this in most Asian groceries)
40ml light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon caster sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons ginger juice (finely grate ginger and squeeze out the juice from the pulp)
125ml chicken/vegetable stock
1 tablespoon salted black beans, washed
2 red chillies, sliced finely into rounds
To make black bean sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a spoon (it will look like a very light broth)
- Place fish on a flat plate in a single layer and pour half the sauce over.
- Heat the remaining sauce in a small saucepan and keep warm until it is ready to serve.
- Place fish in a bamboo steamer and steam fro 6-8 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Remove from heat and remove the fish carefully from the plate onto serving plates.
- Heat sesame oil in a small saucepan until very hot. Spoon over fish, then add the remaining hot sauce.
- Garnish with snow pea sprouts, green onion slices, ginger threads and coriander leaves.